More than half of us have taken vitamin supplements in our lives, with 34% of us taking them every single day. But have you ever thought about giving multivitamins to your dog? Are dog vitamin supplements really necessary? If so, what nutrients do dogs need?
Read on to find out everything you need to know about keeping your dog healthy with multivitamins or take a look at our range of YuM Mega MultiVits for dogs.
What are dog multivitamins?
Despite the name, dog multivitamins aren’t just vitamins. They’re actually a healthy mix of necessary nutrients, minerals and fibres, as well as vitamins. They provide nutrition for dogs that isn’t or can’t be taken in through a normal dogs diet. Dog multivitamin supplements are available in many formats – like capsules, tablets, chews, treats, powders or liquids.
Do dogs need multivitamin supplements?
Having the right vitamins and minerals provides considerable benefits to our dogs, such as strong bones, shiny fur, good skin, energy and healthy teeth. In extreme cases, not enough vitamins can expose your pup to a range of illnesses – like Anaemia, Canine Hepatitis or Diabetes. It can also cause several health issues, including:
- Extreme tiredness
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
What makes a good dog multivitamin?
Dogs can really benefit from multivitamins, but what does a good dog vitamin supplement look like? And what kind of nutrients and vitamins should they contain? Dogs have specific health requirements that are different to us – so they don’t need the same vitamins that we do.
Here’s a quick guide on just some of the nutrients dogs need and what they do:
- B Vitamins – responsible for energy, healthy skin, metabolism, heart health and immune system
- Specifically, Vitamin B6 – essential for the function of red blood cells, the nervous system and immune response
- Biotin – promotes the formation of Keratin for strong nails and smooth hair
- Prebiotics – ensures a balanced digestive system and healthy gut
Here at YuMOVE, we’ve designed a multivitamin to promote everyday wellness in dogs, both young and old. Our YuM Mega MultiVits are made with a unique blend of natural ingredients – including Vitamins B, C and E, Omega 3 fatty acids and prebiotics, along with MSM, turmeric and olive leaf extract.
The best part? These multivitamins can be taken alongside your dog’s existing YuMOVE supplement!
The benefits of multivitamins
As huge dog lovers, our job is to help you look after your pup in the best way possible. Multivitamins for dogs offer great benefits for your dog’s overall health and wellbeing and and will help to keep them happier, healthier and more active.
YuM Mega MultiVits offers 6-in-1 support (or 8-in-1 support in the Senior Dog range!) for your dog, targeting the below key areas:
- Skin and coat
- Immune system
Should give my dog multivitamins?
Multivitamins are great if your dog is lacking a specific vitamin or vitamins. But it’s not just dogs with certain health concerns that’ll benefit from a dog-friendly vitamin supplement. All dogs will benefit by topping up their vitamin intake.
Although most pets will get the calories and nutrition they need from their daily food, it’s nice to give your dog an extra boost. And multivitamins are just one way to give your pup an added dose of nutrition!
How to choose the right vitamin supplement for your dog:
- Choose a well-known brand with a scientific backing. This shows they have experience in pet health and confirms them as experts.
- Read labels carefully to ensure the highest quality and safety. Our handy guide on decoding pet supplement labels is sure to help! You should especially watch out for ingredients that are potentially harmful for dogs, like Xylitol or Potassium Chloride.
- Be wary of unverified claims. Multivitamin supplements are simply just that – supplements. They’re not intended to replace medication and aren’t miracle cures.
- Choose a product specifically made for dogs. Never give human supplements to your pet as they include ingredients that are poisonous or harmful to animals.
- Check out the company’s reviews. This way you’ll quickly get an idea of whether people love the products, or if they think it’s a waste of money.
Want to take a look at our amazing range of multivitamins for dogs? Take a look here and find the perfect supplement for your dog, no matter what age or size, we have something suited to every pup.
1British Food Foundation Factsheet on Food Supplements